Utreist med/Emigrated on: Erik left on "Angelo" and Richard on "Montebello"

Utreist til/Emigrated to: Dakota

Dear Debbie

Thank you so much for all this information.
This was really impressive.


Family History of Erik Larsen Nygaard and his brother Richard Larsen Nygaard:

This information has been contributed by Debbie Dahl-Cole from Spokane, Washington. 
She would be very glad if someone would contact her with more information.
Her e-mail is:

Erik Sigurdsen Dalen was born in 1794 in Dalen, Sauherad, Telemark, Norway 
and married his first wife Kristi Larsdatter, daughter of Lars Jonsson and 
Kjersti Sigurdsdatter,  from Rinde #54/4 in Sauherad Telemark, Norway. 
Together they had six children Sigurd b. 1819, Lars born 5 July 1925, Lars 
born 1829, Hans born 17 Jan 1832, Jon born 11 Aug 1832 and Erik born 15 Nov 
1838/1839 and died 16 Jan 1911. Kristi died (date unknown) and he married his 
second wife Ragnhild Knudsdatter Hytta in 1849 and they had 7 more children 
from their marriage. Knut born 23 Sept 1849, Olav/Ole born 1 Nov 1851, Kristi 
(aka Christie, Christine) born 4 Jan 1854 and died 29 May 1925, Guro born 7 
Feb 1856, Mari born 2 Nov 1858, Hans born 4 May 1861 and died 30 May 1886 
from tuberculosis, and their last child was my great-grandfather Erik Dahl 
born 13 jan 1866 and died 24 November 1959.

This information is known about their children:

The fourth child of Erik Sigurdsen Dalen and Kristi Larsdatter, Hans, 
emigrated to America, although his date is not known. Research on this sibling 
has been performed by someone else in my family and the information has been 
promised to me.

The sixth child of Erik Sigurdsen Dalen and Kristi Larsdatter, Erik, 
emigrated to America about 1860 and changed his surname to "Bakken." He 
married Marie Bakken ( 9 July ___ to 25 Dec 1898) who was also from Telemark 
and he took her surname because he said there were "too many Dahls."  He 
homesteaded 160 acres of land in the Milton, North Dakota area. He and Marie 
had a 11 children: Edward, Simon, Christine, Sophie, John, Amelia, Gilbert, 
Martin, Randine, George and Hilda. but one of them would become famous in a 
very unusual way. The son, John Bakken who was born in 1871 in Benson, Swift 
County, Minnesota had his photograph taken while he, his wife and children 
were standing in front of their sod "soddy" house. In 1962 the photograph was 
used for an American postage stamp commemorating the 100 years anniversary of 
the American Homestead Act. The picture would also appear on a stamp issued 
in Norway in 1975 . The picture on the American stamp was altered, the 
children were removed from the photograph and the words "The Homestead Act 
1862-1962" would be inserted in their place, and the dog removed from the 
picture and also a window. The stamp issued by Norway in 1975 just moved the 
children to the side a little bit and nothing else was changed and his a very 
close likeness to the original picture. In America, the policy is that a 
person must be deceased for 10 years before their photograph can appear on a 
postage stamp. Unknowingly, the americans used the Bakken photograph for the 
postage stamp and John Bakken and his children were still alive. He received 
many requests for autographs. His granddaughter, by his son Eddie is a 
familiar face in our family and lives in Kennewick, Washington. The Bakkens 
have many hundreds of descendants.  Erik and Marie are buried in Highland 
Cemetary, Cavalier County North Dakota.

The seventh child of Erik Sigurdsen Dalen and his second wife Ragnhild 
Knudsdatter Hytta, Knute also emigrated to America.  He emigrated at age 28 
and settled in Milton North Dakota. He married Aase Olsdatter Ovnan who was 
also born in Norway (Eggedal) Nov 18, 1870. They had seven children: Robert, 
Edward, Oscar, Clara, Carl, Robert and Thea. 

The ninth child, Kresti, americanized her name to Christine and she 
homesteaded 160 acres of land in Cavalier County, North Dakota. She never 
married and did not have any children. She is buried in Highland Cemetary, 
Cavalier County North Dakota. She maintained close ties to her family in 
Norway and her mother in Milton, North Dakota also.

The tenth child, Guro Eriksdatter Dalen was baptized 24 Feb 1856, confirmed 
20 Oct 1870 and married Lars Nygaard. 3 Nov 1877 in Gjerpen, Telemark, 
Norway. Lars mother's name was Inger Rollefsen Nygaard, his father's lineage 
has not been researched yet. Lars and Guro had a large farm and raised 
strawberries. Lars was also a shoemaker and city council member. He is buried 
in his family plot at Borgestad Cemetary, Telemark, Norway. To their union, 
10 children were born: Richard 22 Sept 1882, Erik 1880, Olav Tidemann 1 Apr 
1896 died 1984, Inger, born 1878, Julie born 25 Dec 1888, Anna Marie born 15 
Jan 1887, Ragnhild born 13 Dec 1884, Ingeborg born 1902 died 1985 and two 
other children for whom I have no information.

The eleventh child Mari emigrated to America (date unknown) and married Helge 
Gronhovd. Helge and Mari homesteaded 160 acres of land in Cavlaier County, 
North Dakota. Seven children were born to them: Bertha, Oscar, Edwin, Martin, 
Clara, Gilbert and Helmer. The descendancy of all these children are known by 

The Family of Lars Nygaard and Guro Eriksdatter Dalen:

Guro and Lars wrote frequently back and forth to America, writing letters to 
Guro's sister Marie and her brother Erik (b.1866). Those letters were saved 
by her sister Marie Eriksdatter Dalen who married Helge O. Gronhovd and those 
letters are still in the family today. From those letters we have been able 
to understand what was happening in Norway and America. The letters begin in 
1902 and continue until 1968. I do not have all of the letters, but have 
slowly been translating them, paying particularly to the time right after 
Guro and Lars first son emigrated in July 1904 until just after World War 2. 
In the letters I have included, anything in italics are my comments for 
clarification to help the reader understand whom or what is being discussed 
in the letter. There is not much said in the family letters about what Erik 
Nygaard does for a living in America, although it is known he was a farmer.  
Richard Nygaard must have worked for a while with my great-grandfather Erik 
E. Dahl, on his farm. My Grandfather, Erik Dahl, and Erik Nygaard and Erik 
Larsen were known as "the three Eriks." Richard Nygaard emigrated to America, 
but went back to Norway in 1910 and then came back to America in 1911. His 
life after coming to America seemed to be steeped in tragedy. The details on 
his migration follow in the letters below. Notes about other family members 
are included also.

Erik Nygaard was born 22 Sept 1880 in Gjerpen Norway and died in January 1969 
in Everett Washington, but was buried in St. Olaf's Cemetary in Fairdale ND. 
He was a farmer. He married Aaste Grandgard who died in 1922 leaving him with 
five children to raise: Leo born 27 Nov 1912 in Dewey Township, ND died 22 
July 1931 in Grafton, Walsh County, ND and is buried at St. Olaf Cemetary in 
Fairdale, ND, he died of apendicitis. Gudrunn was born June 3, 1914 in Walsh 
County, ND and died c. 1997 in Everett Washington. Evelyn Nygaard was born 
June 11, 1917 in Fairdale ND and died in Everett Washington and is buried in 
Everett. She married Gordon Aandahl and they had four children: Gerry, 
Marlene, Cheryl and Howard. Raymond Nygaard married Myrtle_________. Milo 
Nygaard was born 13 July 1921 in Fairdale, ND and married Elma Sobak in 1949 
in Edmore, ND. They had four children: Wayne, Mark, Joan and Kevin.

Richard Nygaard was born 26 September 1882 in Gjerpen Norway and emigrated in 
the summer of 1904. He married Julie Andrea Moen in America, and she was also 
from Gjerpen Norway. Nothing else is known about her or their wedding date or 
place. Richard farmed for awhile and when Julie became ill with Tuberculosis 
he sold the farm and took her back to Norway in the summer of 1910 with the 
hopes it would improve her health. She died in Feburary 1911 and he then came 
back to America, studied for awhile and later took a job in Las Vegas, New 
Mexico where he died soon thereafter.  The obituary of Richard Nygaard and 
the family letters document his struggles with an ailing wife and her passing 
away  and Richard's untimely death Feb 5, 1913 in Las Vegas New Mexico. He 
and Julie had no children.

The Lars Nygaard family can be found on the 1900 census: Municipality: 
Gjerpen, Farm 105 Subfarm 3, Farm name Øvrum.

Their first son, Erik Nygaard registered his intent to leave Gjerpen Norway 
with the attestation to the vicar on 6 July 1900. Their second son Erik 
Nygaard registered his intent 1 July 1904. 

In a letter from Guro to her sister Marie in North Dakota dated 4 May 1902, 
Guro says:

Dear and often thought about Sister,
We received your most welcome letter April 22 whereof we see you are in good 
health and live well. The same I can inform you. We are all well except old 
Besta. She's getting old and is in bed most of the day. Yes, you say you had 
thought to write immediately when Mother died (Ragnhild Knudsdatter Hytta). 
Yes, I have waited. Dear Sister—it was a hard time for you in our mother's 
severe illness. She had to withstand much suffering in this life before she 
was able to wander away from here, but maybe those who were around her at the 
time will live in the hope that she went home to God. Then we should be 
happy. Tell me a little about Mother's last days, please. Yes, I must not 
forget to tell you thanks for the picture. We thought it was fun to see you 
all. It was great to see that all your children—they look so sound and 
healthy. We took pictures of our house buildings and orchard last summer and 
these we have sent you one each. Kristi (Christine Eriksdatter Dalen) got a 
smaller one which was taken in a group in the wood, but it was so poor that 
we didn't want to send any more of those. (Genealogists note: we have both of 
these pictures in our collection) Kristi will also get one of the big 
pictures. You say you haven't spoken to Erik (Erik Larsen Nygaard, their son) 
in a year. I suppose the distance is too far for him to visit you. Beleive 
me, it has been difficult for me since he left us. I longed greatly after 
him, but it is better now as he is good about writing home and now he has 
sent us a photo of himself. He would not have left had not our brother Erik 
(Erik Eriksen Dalen b. 1866) visited us.  

(Genealogists note: Erik Dalen went back to Norway to visit around 1900, but 
he did return to America) 
Believe me, sister, we were happily surprised to 
see him. Our Erik (Nygaard) says he hasn't been longing over in America–but I 
still think he often thinks of home anyway. I was really surprised here this 
winter as he sent me money for my birthday. Guess he visits Kristi sometimes. 
She has built a new house for herself and has hired help too. She must thrive 
quite qell now, and she who longed so over there. Suppose she was with you 
when Mother was sick. Yes, it is now 12 years this spring since Mother and my 
brothers and sisters went to america. It was pretty bad for us that time when 
we all were so sick, but God be praised, that too passed. Yes, I have often 
been sick so that I have had to be in bed weeks at a time. Now, I'm pretty 
fair. I must now say a little about the children too. Inger will be 24 this 
fall. She is in service at Ekli, near Porsgrunn. Rikard (Richard) will be 22 
on the 22nd of September and is home*. Ragnhild will be 18 this fall, the 13 
of December. Julie will be 14 at Christmas. Tidemann is the youngest and was 
six years old April 1st and is big and smart. He likes to be at the mill 
during the day. As far as spring is concerned, it will be late as it has been 
very cold this spring. A lot of snow on the ground still. You, Sister, 
suppose would like to hear a little from Saude, but since I haven't been 
there in 14 years I have no knowledge of how things are there now. Now I must 
stop for this time with an affectionate greeting from us bit and little to 
you all, but write a long letter soon, Sister.
–Gurine (Guro)

*She makes a mistake here, his birthdate is the 26th.

The following information comes from a telephone interview in June 2000 with 
Erik Nygaard's son Milo Nygaard:

When Erik came to America worked for another farmer for awhile.  The man was 
not family, but a man Erik became aquainted with  Erik eventually bought his 
own property. Erik didn't go back to visit Norway. Erik was know as one of 
"The Three Eriks." Erik Nygaard, Erik Larson and Erik Dahl were all relatives 
and chums.  Erik Nygaard is remembered as good father, which is especially 
notable since his wife died when Milo was only one year old. Milo stayed with 
friends of his family until he was 6 years old, but his dad raised the other 
children. After age 6, Milo went to live with his dad again. Erik talked once 
in a while about his family in Norway. He didn't have the time to write much, 
but when he wrote, he  wrote in norwegian.  All of Milo's brothers and 
sisters could understand spoken Norwegian, but when their parents asked them 
a question, the kids answered in English. Milo is still in contact with his 
cousin Gudrunn in Norway. He was  confirmed in the Lutheran church. In the 
beginning the church had worship in Norwegian and English, alternating on 
Sundays. Later services would only be in English. 

Date of newspaper obituary unknown:
Fairdale Times (North Dakota)

Last Thursday afternoon Erick Nygaard received a telegram from Las Vegas, New 
Mexico, stating his brother Richard had fallen into a well he was digging and 
had been killed. No particulars were given of how the sad tragedy came about.

A few days after the telegram telling of his brother's death, Erick Nygaard 
received a letter giving the details of the tragedy. It appears the ground 
was very hard and that dynamite had been used with unsatisfactory results. 
Then blasting powder was tried and just before going to dinner, Mr. Nygaard 
had climbed down a ladder to note the effect of the explosion. He had nearly 
reached the top again, when, undoubtably overcome by the poisonous fumes from 
the explosive, he fell backward into the well, a distance of about 25 feet. 
His skull was fractured and head badly cut and he lived only half an hour, 
never regaining consciousness.

The remains were shipped up here for interment, reaching here Tuesday. The 
funeral services were held Thursday at the Erick Nygaard home, Rev. Kluxdal 
officiating, and the remains were laid at rest in St. Olaf Cemetary. 

Richard Nygaard was born in Gjerpen, Norway, on Sept 26, 1882. In the summer 
of 1904 he came to the United States and located in Dewey Township, south of 
what is now Fairdale, and two years later he was united in marriage to Julia 
Andrea Moen, also from Gjerpen, Norway.

In 1910 he sold his farm southwest of Fairdale and returned to Norway with 
the hope of benefitting the health of his wife, which was failing, but the 
following winter she passed away. The next summer he returned to North Dakota 
and last fall went to New Mexico in company with Nels Anderson of Edinburg. 

Besides his aged parents he leaves two sisters and a brother in Norway and 
his brother Erick here.

Here are some more correspondences from Richard Nygaard addressed to his 
cousin (søskenbarn) Bertha Gronhovd. All of these were written on postcards. 
Some of them document his trip from America taking Julie back to Norway. The 
last one from Las Vegas, New Mexico, was written a couple months before he 
died and evidences the fact that he did return to America.

June 22.08

Julie has being recovering right along.
She is now feeling so good that I will take
her home today. I am well pleased that all went
out so good.
                R. N.
Greet all.

Written on the picture side.

Write soon and address the letter to Gjerpen PO. Porsgrund, Norway

Baldwin Wisc. July 31st. 1910

Dear cousin:
We have not reached further than to Wisc. since we have lots of time. 
We left Fairdale July 18th. and arrived in Minneapolis the day after.
Stopped there for 4 -5 days before we traveled here and have now 
been here for some time. We have talked to a couple of doctors in 
Minneapolis and one of them said that Julie would be recover very soon.

A series of postcards written from Richard Nygaard to his cousin Bertha 
Gronhovd document his travel back to Norway with Julie. It has not been 
translated so I am summarizing it to the best of my ability, and ability to 
read his handwriting

Baldwin, Wisconsin
July 31, 1910

Dear Cousin,
It didn't take long for us to reach Wisconsin. We traveled from Fairdale 18 
July and came to Minneapolis the day before. We stayed there 4-5 days. Julie 
is alright again and not so long ____________ we travel to New York 6 August. 
Julie is weak. We spoke with a couple Doctors in Minneapolis and they believe 
Julie will be all right. Write fast a letter to Gjerpen 20 Porsgrund , 
Norway. (Richard must mean he wrote a letter quickly on the 20 July to tell 
them he was bringing Julie back to Norway, the handwriting is very small to 
Rich Nygaard

4 Aug 1910
New York

Dear Cousin, Arrived here to New York today at 5:40 p.m., start for Norway 
tomorrow at 12:00 noon. Julie is getting along fine. Rich Nygaard

The next postcard Richard writes to Bertha Gronhovd

Liverpool Aug. 16th. 1910 Yes, Now we have arrived in Liverpool. We came on sunday and will travel on tomorrow. We have had luck with the weather on our journey and have had a nice trip. Julie has not become any worse since we started on our trip. She gets tired very quickly -it is good that we soon will be home. Kindest regards Rich. Nygaard Written along the edge: Greet all those we know.

Gjerpen Dec. 12th 1910

Dear cousin
A Merry Christmas
A Happy New Year
we wish you all
           J. & R.N.

Julie is still very ill.  R.


The next postcard Richard writes to his cousin Bertha Gronhovd has a picture 
of Hogaas Sanatorium on it

Dec. 29th 1910
Dear cousin:
Many thanks for the (post)cards which you sent to
Julie. She is now rather ill. She has been in bed
for many weeks and her strength is dwindling and our hope of 
recovery is very small. I see that you are studing and I
think you like that very much, - true ?
Yes, here it will be very little sleep, I will end with kind regards
from us both and a wish for a Happy new year.

Written on top:
Drop us another card soon, please.

The next letter is written on stationary with bold black border indicating 
there has been a death. Richard is writing to his mother's sister and husband 
from Norway to North Dakota

Feb 9, 1911
Mr. H. Gronhovd and Family, It is a very sad message I have to present to you 
today, that is to say the message of Julie's death. She passed away Friday 
27th January and was buried Saturday 4th Feb.  It's hard to think she has 
left me for ever, but it is my comfort and hope that she is now in a better 
place.  She recently often asked Jesus to take her home, and I believe he did 
so. We, who stayed with her realized she would not recover, and because of 
this I should not feel sad, but rather be glad she has struggled through, but 
all the same it is sad to know I will never see her again her at the farm. 
May God help us all to live so that we may once meet with she who now is at 
home in the eternal residence.
Best wishes.
Richard Nygaard

Genealogists note: Julie was buried in Gjerpen Feb 4, 1911

Genealogist note: Richard wrote to his cousin Bertha Gronhovd a postcard in 

Grand Forks, ND
Jan 28, 1912

Dear Cousin Bertha, thought I would drop you a card today. Suppose you know 
that I am now in Gr. Forks, - at Aakers Business College. Was down in MN 
visiting by Uncle Erik (Erik E. Dalen aka Erik E. Dahl) for 4 weeks and a 
half. They was all fine down there. E. W. Larson (Erik Larson a friend of 
his) came down there from Ryder just before Christmas and is still there, his 
brother Ole is also there now so I guess uncle don't feel lonesome this 
winter. Best regards to you and all. Rich. Drop me a line sometime please, 
greet Astha if she is staying by you now. 

Next postcard is from Richard Nygaard to his cousin Bertha Gronhovd. It has a 
picture of La Castaneda Hotel, Las Vegas, new Mexico on it. It is in 
norwegian and I have generalized what he has said

East Las Vegas N. Mex. Nov. 7th. 1912
Dear cousin.
will send a card now, shall write a letter later. 
Have been here now for 2 weeks and I feel rather comfortable.
Here is very nice weather during daytime but cold nights.
I drive lumber for Nic. Anderson.
Loving greeting to you all.
Your cousin Rich.
Write some words, please.

This next letter is written from Guro to her sister Marie and discusses 
Richard's death

9 February 1913

Dear Sister Marie and family, I have often thought about writing a little to 
you. But I am such a bad writer that I never get around to it. Julie (her 
daughter) is writing to Klara today (Marie's daughter) and I thought that I 
should try and send it along with her letter. I have to let you know that we 
are in good health and lives well. God be praised for that. It is great gift 
of gracy to be in good health and be well–we that are living here and stayed 
behind (those that didn't go to america). It is so strange for us that are 
getting to be so few left. On the 5th of this month it is one year since 
Rikard (Richard her son) died from us. Yes, that was a hard blow and a sad 
message that came most unexpectedly to _______. The worst was that he had 
such a difficult/dangerous work as digging wells and _______ should happened 
to die there and I think of maybe they didn't be as careful as they should 
have been. Yes, dear sister that was the heaviest sorrow I have had. Rikard 
was a good boy and it has been very hard for me when I think of perhaps he 
wasn't saved. It happened so quickly with him, but if I could believe that he 
is home with God it wouldn't be so hard for me. I hope - with the help of God 
that I can believe he is saved and in God's home. It didn't work out so well 
for Rikard after Julie died. He didn't want to stay here at home and he 
didn't find peace at any place over there in America or that he traveled that 
far away.  Yes, I owe you Dear Sister so many thousand thanks for looking 
after our boys when they came over to America. They have had a home with you 
at your place and I have to tell you thank you very much for the big nice 
picture that you sent us for Christmas. It is so nice to see many grownup and 
nice children and that you have them all at home.  Then I have to remember to 
thank you so much for the nice towel you got Erik Larssen (her son must have 
gone back to Norway to visit) to bring Back. Thankyou very much. Then I have 
to tell you that there is mild weather here this winter. In the midwinter the 
weather has been many plus degrees and very little snow. Today it is nice, 
cold and clear weather and I think I'll go to Riis to see Inger our daughter 
since it is such nice weather. She was here on Saturday on my birthday and I 
turned 58 years old. I'm getting old - how od are you - you have to tell me 
that when you write to me. How does sister Kristine do (meaning how is she) 
live I should have written her a long time ago. Lars says that I should ask 
if any of you will come to Norway this summer. Yes, then I have to end with a 
very dear greeting to you all from us. Your sister Guro. Write soon to me - a 
long letter - greetings to my siblings and all of our people if you can.

Lars Nyggard write here to his brother in law Helge O. Gronhovd in North 

23 Nov 1920

Dear Brother-in-law H. Grønhovd, I have many times thought about writing some 
words to you, but it have always stopped at that. First I'll have to tell you 
that we live well and that we are in good health and that we have what we 
have what we need for support of life - thank God! I guess you have heard 
that we have sold our old home and bought a small place close to Porsgrunn 
and that we thrive well in our new home. Here is very beautiful with a view 
of the town and it's surroundings. Here are many houses that are not finished 
yet and we are now finishing our living room that should have been ready for 
Christmas. We have electric light all over and in the stable, awe have 2 cows 
and 1 calf and 2 horses. We don't have all the hills that we had before and 
everything is easier than before. Here is everything flat and leveled like 
the floor of our livingroom.  The grous is of old river bottom from the river 
that now goes close to our property - there is also lot of fish in the river. 
If I had a motorboat I could go all the way to the ocean every day. During 
the grass cutting season we have 3 a day. It would maybe seem strange that we 
that now are old would move from a place where we have lived for so long, but 
it was bothersome and laborious to live up there and I started to get tire of 
it al.. When Tidemann (his son) didn't want to go on up there I decided that 
I wanted to sell and I got well payed. Now everything is much easier, going 
to town used to take half a day and now I can walk to town and back in one 
hour. Guro got a letter from you some  time back where you tell about an 
operation you have had and that all went well. Yes, it is many things and 
much stuff to live through in the short time we are here. The great thing is 
that we have a Sabbath rest waiting for us when we leave here if we have 
taken that saving hand that are extended to us. Guro started to write but I 
don't know if she will finish it before Christmas. She is well even if she 
now is alone but she is very fit and quick and do not long for _____ when 
Tidemann lives with us. Julie (Lars' daughter) lives in Skien and have two 
small Girls. Inger (Lars daughter) has 7 children 3 boys and 4 girls of which 
2 are confirmed. There could be alot of different things to write about like 
how times are here, the high prices on everything and that uneasiness that 
are among folks, but that will have to wait until next time. Greet everyone. 
Erik (Lars son) in particular and tell him that he should be more eager to 
write to his mother and father. Then you are all most greeted most heartily 
with a blessed Christmas and a blessed New Year. 
Lars Nygaard.
Write soon again please. My address is now: Lars Nygaard, Handelslaget, 
Porsgrunn, Norway

Next letter is from Guro and Lars Nygaard to their niece Bertha Gronhovd. She 
talks about her son Erik and how he is having some trouble. It was later 
determined that his wife died in 1922, leaving him with all 5 children to 
raise. He did send the youngest one, Milo, to live with a neighbor until the 
boy was 6 years old, then he rejoined his family.

18 Dec 1927

Dear Mrs. Berta Grønhovd,
Thank you very much for the letter you sent us last October, it was good to 
hear you are all well. It's a shame your mother is having bad feet, it must 
be______.  I don't know if it's suitable for me to apologize I have not 
written earlier, but I'm still an incorrigible writer. ________Guro has much 
to do. We have 6 cows, last summer we had 4 pigs as well, and some hens to 
look after. I'm helping with the _____, but I can't milk, so I'm driving to 
town with the milk every morning and evening. It's not far, I'm home again in 
45 minutes. Last summer we had much rain and floods, which resulted in a poor 
crop and _______. The hay was bad, but it was hardly too much damage on (the 
potatoes)____. We have enough to manage. Must tell you something about our 50 
years anniversary. We had not invited anyone, but they all arrived, and a lot 
more, there were people from Larvik and Porsrund, Skien and Gjerpen. We had a 
pleasant time, there were 34 guests all together, maybe there would have been 
more if not for the rain and dirt outdoors. Our eldest daughter Inga had her 
silver anniversary last wednesday. We visited her, and there were also others 
around. She is married to farmer Anders Hansen Riis in Gjerpen, they have 7 
children. Julie, our other daughter, is married to Ole Korsvedt, they are 
living in Larvik, having two small girls. Then, Our youngest son Tidemann, he 
is married and have two handsome boys. They are living at our place. He is 
running a shoemaker shop in town. I can see from the letter that you have 
been at Erik's (her son Erik Nygaard) last autumn, it was probably great for 
him to talk to you, how does he manage? We received a letter from him 
recently, where he asked for a cheque for 200 kroner. It can't be easy for 
him, taking care of all the children. It's nearly Christmas, this letter 
won't reach you by then, but we do wish you a Merry Christmas and new years, 
God bless. If you see _______ our relatives, will you give the best regards.

Best Wishes Guro and Lars Nygaard.

The next letter written from Aase, who is daughter of Julie Nygaard 
Korstvedt, is written to her Aunt Marie Dalen-Gronhovd and Marie's daughter 

March 4, 1934

Dearest Aunt Marie and Bertha,
Now you get a letter from someone you have never have gotten a letter from 
before. I am Åse and is Julie's daughter. Just now I'm visiting grandmother 
(Guro Eriksdatter Dalen Nygaard) and she has difficulties with writing 
letters and asked me to do it for her. I shall greet you so much from her and 
grandfather and tell you a heartfelt thanks for the letter they received from 
you. They think it is so nice to get a letter from "someone over there." 
Grandfather is in the hospital again and have had a little operation. It is 
nearly the same as last year - he is old you know and it is bad that he have 
to suffer so much in his old day. Grandmother is quick and well. She keeps 
house and are in good humor and that is important. She often think about Aunt 
Marie that have to use crutches. She thinks it is so nice that Bertha can 
stay in your home. Uyes, I'm sure that you have a nice time together - Evelyn 
is also there with you. You have to greet her so much from me and say 
thankyou a thousand times for her. I'll shall soon drop her some lines. Now 
I'll tell you that Lars, son of Aunt Inger (Guro's sister) is dead. He died 
Feb 22 from pneumonia and was buried March 1st at Borgestad Church yard. He 
was only ill from Saturday until Thursday - it was very quick. It is so 
strange to think about that he is no more. He was such a kind and good boy. 
The loss and sorrow is worst for the parents and his brothers and sisters. 

(The rest of the weather discusses weather and school and health and is not 
included here)

I hope that one of you will write some letters to Grandad and Grandmother. 
Lots of greetings from uncle Tidemann, Aunt Ingeborg, Leif, Rolf and Erling. 
My best regards to you all,
Yours affectionately,

The next letter written from Julie Nygaard Korstvedt, daughter of Lars and 
Guro is dated 22 June 1948 and is written from Larvik Norway to her cousin 
Bertha Gronhovd. That letter discloses that she was delighted for the package 
and note that Bertha sent to her, but she had thought it was "from my brother 
Erik." This indicates that Erik Nygaard was still alive at this date in time. 
Julie also discusses the hardships WW2 put on them, and Guro's death. Julie 
has received a package from America

June 22, 1948

My dear Cousin Bertha!
First I have to thank you so much of all my heart for the very welcome and 
much needed and unexpected package we received yesterday the 21st. When I got 
the note and saw that it came from USA I thought it was from my brother Erik 
(Nygaard) When I saw it had your name on it I had to cry because I thought it 
was so touching that you should think of us. You better beleive me when I say 
that we hurried off to pick it up at the post office. I only payed Kr. 1.33 I 
guess that is about 35 cents so you see they didn't charge any custom for it. 
It cost so much for you in freight to send packages over here. It was so nice 
to get sugar and everything. The rice had spilled out but I was able to save 
it so nothing got lost. As you understand they treat packages _______ .  It 
is such a small ration of sugar we have this year. Now we can make jam and 
that's an advantage. This year they are giving us 1 kg. Sugar less than last 
year that means it's getting worse. People wants more sugar but what's the 
use? There are many other things we can't get, things that there were plenty 
of before the war. Like a little thing as an elastic band for our underwear 
is no where to be found. A little cloth for a summer dress or to a everyday 
dress is not to be found. If the rumor comes out that there is some article 
available in a store the people line up in long lines in hope of acquiring 
this article. Before the war there were plenty of things to be had and much 
cheaper. We have to be glad and grateful that we can get the most essential 
food stuff regularly now. We don't see meat very often and only once in a 
while some cheese and sandwich spread. Butter however is still rationed but 
we manage by being very careful with it. One should not complain now, because 
while the war was on we had next to nothing. Last winter  - in 1945, we 
didn't have butter until Easter and we got only 1/2 liter of milk a day for 
our youngest girl Ruth. (Genealogists note. The letter is clearly dated 1948 
although she says ‘last winter in 1945,' that date is clearly discernable 
also.") Yes, you should beleive me when I say that I'm glad that my mother 
(Guro) didn't have to live through the wartime here. She died in June 1940 
just after the war started. She were not ill until just a few weeks before 
she died. She was bright by her senses, happy and content when she died with 
her faith in her Saviour nearly 84 years old. She was a loving mother for her 
large family. Yes, - dear Bertha may we all meet again in God's home when our 
wanderings on this earth comes to an end. Now I have to end with once again, 
our most heartful thanks for the things you sent us.

Best greetings from your _________

Genealogical Sources: Bygdebok for Sauherad, Census, Church microfilm, family 
letters newspaper obituary, family interviews.

© 2000 - Skien Genealogical page - by Jan Christensen