ENGEBREGT SOLVESEN ROSVALD
Utreist med/Emigrated on: the American vessel ARGO from Le Havre, France
Utreist til/Emigrated to:
Ashippun township, Dodge Co, Wisconsin - 1843.
- Engebregt Solvesen Rosvald: Born at Rosvald June 24,
1816 by parents Solve Engebregtsen Rosvald and Marthe Alfsdatter.
- He married in 1854 Ingeborg Cleven, who was born in 1830..
- Engebregt died June 22, 1885 and his wife died in 1924. Both are buried
at Hillside Cem., Whitewater, Wisconsin.
- They had the following children: Edmond S. (b. 1855, died 1912), Karen
(b. 1859 ?), Henry (b. 1861 ?), Anna (b. 1863 ?), Ida (b. 1865 ?), Hilda M. (b. 1867, died
1924), Gus (b. 1870 ?), Dena (b. 1872 ?), Emma (b. Jan 19, 1874, died Oct 25, 1880)
- The family moved in 1849 to Milwaukee, and in 1849 the went to
California. They returned in June 1850 to Racine Co., Wisconsin, staying there until 1854.
The following has been submitted by Roger Johnson of
Ashippun, Dodge Co.:
Ingebret Solveson Rosvald (6-24-1816 to 6-22-1885) Born at Rosvald in Gjerpen to Solve Engebretsen Rosvald and Karen Gundersdatter Rosvald. Ingebret immigrated on the Louis Phillippe to Le Harve, France then on the American vessel, Argo from Le Havre, France to America in 1843. The family history has him settling in the Town of Ashippun in 1843, moving to Pine Lake in 1844. His brother, Halvor Solveson Rosvald, wrote that Ingebret met him at Milwaukee on 7-25-1844 when Halvor arrived from Norway in Milwaukee. Ingebret moved back to Ashippun, moving to Milwaukee, moving to California in 1849, moving to Racine Co. in June, 1850, moving to Ashippun in 1854. According to Halvor Solveson, Ingebret, Halvor, Col. Hans Christian Heg, and Magnus Hanson left on 3-17-1849 from Muskego for California with four yoke of oxen and a wagon by way of Salt Lake City. (See the story of this trip to the gold rush in the Halvor Solveson file. The trip encluded arriving at Sacramento on 8-29-1849, working in the gold mines and operating a store and boarding house in Nevada City, Nevada. Ingebret left Nevada City in June, 1850 and returned to Milwaukee because of sickness. An Ingebret Solveson, age 34, lived with Christen Christopherson in Sec. 25 per 1850 census. He was said to have been in Racine from 1850-1854, but perhaps he was here. He was married prior to 1854 per family history. He married Ingeborg Eielsdatter (Ellingsdatter) Kleven (1830 - 1924) in 1854. In son, William Henry’s baptism record, Ingeborg’s last name is listed as Ellingsdatter. There is no record of either of his marriages found in local church records. The family moved in 1849 to Milwaukee. The same year Ingebret went to California. He returned in June, 1850 to Racine Co., Wis. staying there until 1854.” per Jan Christensen) Ingebret Solveson was a warden at St. Olaf’s in 1859. He was a trustee in 1860, 61, 62, 63, and 64 per St. Olaf’s records. The 1859 plat map shows him owning the W1/2 NW1/4 Sec. 30 Town of Erin. By 1873 this parcel is owned by Nels Jerson. By 1928 it is owned by Frank Schumacher. There is information, not specified, that Solveson may have sold this parcel to Peter Gunderson in 1856. Ingebret lived in the T. of Erin in 1860 per census. Ingebret Solveson Roswald b. 1816 arrived at Pine Lake in 1844. He was in St. Olaf’s on Dec. 8, 1844. He left for Milwaukee in 1846 and later came back to St. Olaf’s Parish per local information not specified. Ingebret died at Whitewater. Ingebret and his second wife (if he was married twice), Ingeborg, are buried at Hillside Cemetery, Whitewater, Wis. They had the following children:
3. Edmund Severin Solveson (5-24-1855 to 1912) Born in St. Olaf’s Parish.
3. Pauline Agnete Solveson b. 12-11-1856 Born in St. Olaf’s Parish.
3. Karin (Caroline) Elise Solveson b. 10-1-1858 Born in St. Olaf’s Parish.
3. William Henry (Henry) Solveson b. 5-10-1861 Born in St. Olaf’s Parish.
3. Anne (Anna) Sophie (Sofie) Solveson b. 2-23-1863 Born in St. Olaf’s Parish.
3. Ida Louise Solveson b. 2-12-1865 Born in St. Olaf’s Parish.
3. Abert Martinius Solveson b. abt. 1865 and confirmed 6-8-1879 per St. John’s confirmation records. No other church record found on him.
3. Hilda M. Solveson (1867-1924)
3. Gus Solveson b. 1870?
3. Dena Solveson b. 1872?
3. Emma Solveson (1-19-1874 to 10-25-1880)
1997-2006 - Skien Genealogical page - by Jan