"On Saturday July 30, "Washington" arrived in New York. Everything was well onboard, and the passengers were in good shape. After they left the English Channel and until they got close to the New Foundland Bank, everything had been well onboard, but here along the American coast they were met with thick fog, and with it followed sickness. The symptoms were similar to cholera and 25-30 of the passengers were at one time suffering. Through strong diet, cleanliness, the smoking of chlorine and vinegar, and by the use of normal remedies, together with the benefit of the refreshments  the ship could offer, the sickness soon passed, and no trace was left of it by the arrival at the Quarantine-station. The second day after the arrival of "Washington" a wedding was held onboard. Anders Larsen Folseland and the girl Olloug Olsdatter was the couple in question. The wedding was held in English and the captain stood next to the priest and translated. Next to the bridgroom stood the Collector - the Cashier of the Custom-House, and on the left side of the bride, the Doctor at the Quarantine-station, two very well recognized men. The bride wore a simple, but very nice dress of black cloth, and on her head she wore a wreath of flowers. The bridegroom wore black coat and "Pantelongs". All the passengers and the entire crew were dressed in their best clothes. Everything took place in good order and true solemnity. After the ceremony the doctor gave them good advice how to live a healthy life. Thereafter the ship set full sails, and a few hours later she was anchored in New York harbour. In the evening everybody danced until midnight and in all moderation they had had a pleasant day.   On Tuesday the second of August, the passengers left "Washington" and embarked for Wisconsin, ca 1800 English or 250 Norwegian miles from New York. For the freight each person had to pay 12 1/2 piaster (dollars?) , about 11 1/2 Specidaler, children under 12 years paid half fare, and for those under 2 years, nothing at all. As all the passengers had been well by the arrival to the Quarantine-station, they were now allowed to stay onboard "Washington" on the passage up to town; otherwise they would have been transported on a barge, costing each of them 12 1/2 cents, which they now could save. Had the seperation from their families and their mother-country not made any great impression on the emigrants, the parting of the "Washington" and its captain, an even more shuttering experience. They cried like children, blessed the captain for each day they had been together and thanked him for his considerance towards them. The wife of Halvor Jørudsdal had been close to death on the voyage, and as they said farewell to the captain, she took a silver-brooch from her gown, gave it to the captain and told him to keep it as a proof of her recognition, and the good support he had given her.  All the passengers are described in this letter as kind, friendly and helpful people, who on their voyage had occupied themselves with various work, as scrubbing and washing, polishing, spoon- and stick-carving, and also sewing of mats of Manila hamp.
On the 8th of August the vessel "Elida", by captain Jansen from Flekkefjord, arrived in very bad condition. She had come from Drammen  with emigrants. 9 of the passengers were dead, and on arriving at the Quarantine-station, three boat-loads of people - 30 individuals - were sent ashore to the hospital; many were half-dead; one died the very same day and several - said the doctor - they would not be able to save; the rest would need 4 - 6 weeks before they would be capable of  getting out. The misery of Elida is said to have been horrible. The names of the dead have not been mentioned, but among the 9 were 3 children who were born onboard. The sickness is said to have been a kind of Cholera- and Typhoid fever." 

| Tilbake | Back |

© 1997 - Skien Genealogical Page - by Jan Christensen